It’s hard to think of anything worse than a toilet that doesn’t want to cooperate. Though cumbersome to deal with, having a working toilet is essential for a comfortable bathroom experience, so if something goes awry it should immediately be addressed.
Toilet Problems You Need To Know About
When it comes to fixing a toilet, we at Calpro Plumbing believe that dealing with it sooner rather than later is always better. 3 of the most common toilet issues that are important to take care of right away include:
Running toilets are not only annoying but also bad for the environment and your water bills. An American home can waste up to 11,000 gallons of water a year from a running toilet, so it is very important to be mindful of them for sustainability and preventing overspending.
A running toilet is when your toilet continuously refills while it isn’t being used, and can usually be diagnosed from an audible sound coming from your toilet. The most common cause of a running toilet is an issue with a flapper seal or flush valve. When they are damaged or worn out, the bowl refills unnecessarily. Fixing a running toilet is usually accomplished by replacing the faulty flapper or valve.
One of the most dreaded, yet common, issues with a toilet is clogging. Clogging occurs when there is a blockage in your toilet drain. This should be dealt with quickly to avoid larger blockages from forming. Usually, the solution involves simply plunging, unless there is a blockage farther down the drain, which would necessitate a drain snake or the help of a plumber.
Clogged toilets can be caused by:
- Too much toilet paper or waste: Sometimes your toilet just can’t handle the amount of waste you produce!
- Disposing non-flushable items: Putting anything other than toilet paper and waste in the toilet can exacerbate it and create pesky blockages. This includes feminine hygiene products, paper towels, and baby wipes.
Loose Toilet Parts
Two common parts of the toilet that can loosen over the years include:
- The Toilet Base: Loose toilet parts are necessary to address as they can lead to leaks. Leaky toilets should be swiftly taken care of, as they can cause floor damage if water drips onto the bathroom floor for too long. Furthermore, if the water has sewage in it, this can be quite unsanitary. When the base of your toilet feels wobbly to sit on, even before any sign of a leak, it could mean that your wax seal is damaged and needs to be redone.
- Handle: Ever feel like your toilet handle is about to fall off when flushing? Depending on the cause, a loose toilet handle can usually be resolved by simply securing a loose screw or freeing a stuck lever.
How To Keep Your Toilet Happy
While some toilet issues can be fixed by yourself, it is always a good idea to get a professional involved when you’re unsure of the root cause of the problem. While every toilet malfunction has an individual set of solutions, some general rules-of-thumb for avoiding unnecessary problems include:
- Replace Old Parts: Toilets can’t last forever. In general, inspecting your toilet for any signs of rusting and erosion every once and a while before issues even begin will save you a lot of stress in the long run!
- Avoid Chemical Drain Cleaners: Not only are these toxic to your health and can cause injury, but they can also injure your toilet by damaging the pipes!
- Be Mindful of Flushing: Most clogging issues can be avoided by being mindful of what you’re flushing and how much you flush. When in doubt, flush smaller loads more frequently than you think. Nonetheless, mistakes do happen, so buy a plunger just in case!
- Hire a Plumber: If a toilet is continuously acting up despite trying a variety of methods to fix it yourself, this could be pointing to an issue that requires professional attention. Hiring a plumber for annual toilet inspections, part replacements, and troubleshooting is key for keeping your toilet is on its best behavior!
Solve Plumbing Concerns With Ease
At Calpro Plumbing, we are committed to helping clients get to the bottom of their plumbing troubles. With over a decade of experience under our belts, we are confident in our ability to solve the most challenging of plumbing needs. Shoot us an inquiry and work with the best commercial plumbing in orange county today!